As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies – in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 4:10-11
At South Potomac Church we strive to serve our community through outreach Connection Groups and individuals who are using their gifts and talents to glorify God by serving others. We serve others by demonstrating God’s love in practical ways by caring for the felt needs within our communities and sphere of influence. Simple and practical acts of kindness can open hearts to the love of Jesus for both those being served and those serving. We want every person who is passionate about helping others to find the right opportunities to effectively use their gifts to build up the body of Christ and extend the Kingdom of God.
See the Outreach Questions to learn more.
What is SERVE Day?
SERVE Day is an annual outreach event that closes out our Summer Connection Group Semester. It is an amazing opportunity to bless and to be blessed. We go out into our communities and show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. We encourage every Connection Group to choose a project of their own and be the hands and feet of Jesus on SERVE day.
Look for details on SERVE day 2016 here.
How do I start an Outreach Connections Group?
The first step to starting any Connection Group at South Potomac Church is to attend Connection Group Leader Training. Training is available at various times during the year, contact Connection Groups Coordinator for details (link). The next step is to register your Connection Group online so others can find your group. Connection Group registration opens up a few weeks prior the start of each new semester. If you still have questions about launching your Outreach Connection Group, please email the Groups Coordinator (link).
Where can I get ideas for my Outreach Connection Group?
Your group should be built on your spiritual gifts, interests and area of passion. What has God put on your heart? What are you good at doing? Where is the need in your community? The answers to these questions should help you form your group. Check out our list of Outreach Ideas for inspiration on how to get involved.
There are a number of different ways you can make a difference in your community through your Connection Group. The key is to build your Connection Group around your gifts, passions and what God has put on your heart to do. You can begin by asking yourself the following questions. Hopefully, the answers will help you launch your Connection Group around your God-given purpose.
- What are you good at doing and love to do?
- What individuals, ministries, or organizations around you could benefit from your skills?
- What needs in your community seem to stand out to you above others?
Form your group around your passion and gifting. Keep it simple, make it fun and invite others who have similar interests and skills to join your group. The following are just a few Outreach Connection Group ideas to get your creativity flowing:
- Neighborhood landscape group
- Teaching healthy nutrition
- Nursing home visits (prayer, worship, crafts)
- After-school tutoring
- Language classes (Spanish / English)
- Disaster Response Preparedness
- First Aid / CPR
- Missionary Support
- Shut-in Ministry
- Computer Skills
- Job interviewing & employments skill training
- Art & music for underprivileged kids
- Clothing drives
- Cooking for a Cause (homeless, sick, etc.)
- Home repairs for the elderly, disabled, single moms, etc.
- Teacher helpers
- Learning to read (illiteracy)
- Blankets for the homeless
- Community gardening
- Home decorating on a dime
- Care packages for hospitalized, sick children, foster kids, etc
- Coffee & prayer for police and firemen
- Hair care for cancer patients, elderly, or low income
- Support for local ministries administrative needs
- Hospital prayer groups – visit the ER, ICU & NICU
- Monthly car wash for local school faculty
- Celebrate a teacher each week at a local school
- Weekly activity for Children’s Hospital or Children’s Hospital or Children’s ward
- Servolution by Dino Rizzo
- Conspiracy of Kindness by Steve Sjogren
- The Cause Within You by Matthew Barnett
- When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert